Friday, August 20, 2010

To the Christian Flag

I went to summer Bible camp a couple of weeks ago. There was a pseudo-large debate. Well, it was large in the minds of me and . . . well, yeah, it was probably just me. The debate was about the pledge. Every morning, we would pledge to the American flag, to the Christian flag, and to the Bible. The pledge the leaders knew, and that I grew up with, is this.

I pledge allegiance
To the Christian flag
And to the Savior
For whose kingdom it stands.
One Savior,
Risen, and coming again,
With life and liberty to all who believe.

And then there’s the newer version:

I pledge allegiance
To the Christian flag
And to the Savior
For whose kingdom it stands.
One brotherhood,
Uniting all Christians
In service and love.


Maybe you can’t see the big deal. I mean, it sounds really nice, right? We are a brotherhood, we should be united, we should be serving and loving the people around us. (We're not, but that's not the point.) If this was the first pledge ever written for the Christian flag, I don't think I'd have a problem with it. But it's not. There was one. And they changed it.
I think it’s just a sign of a bigger problem in the church. Look closely. The first one talks about a Savior. The second, about the followers of the Savior. Here’s the problem: it’s not about the followers.
This is just my opinion, which has frequently been wrong, but it seems to me that Christianity has become far too much about us. The Christians. As individuals, and as a group. Ain’t we just so cute. We get together and have sweet little socials. We work hard to support ourselves, keep ourselves going, and entirely neglect the God we are supposed to serve, and the broken people He loves. ‘Cause we’re just cool like that.
Christianity is not about the Christians. It never has been. Which is hard to say, because that means it’s not about us. At all. It’s about God. That’s it. Just God. Which, surprisingly, or entirely unsurprising, actually, is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment